Thursday, December 31, 2009

...a Tiger by the tail

I’ve been staring at my computer screen for the past 28 minutes, hoping to write something good before the year 2009 ends...


By this time, the two thin slices of pork belly (I purchased from Foodland), the chicken giblets (I collected from our previous grow), and the 280 grams of peeled green prawns (I bought from the local fish shop in town) have already been thawed on my caravan’s countertop.

The defrosting process was so quick due to the relatively hot temperature down south, which is expected to reach the maximum of 43’C in Port Wakefield today. I am hoping that the coldest setting of my out of date air-conditioning unit won’t fail me later especially in the early afternoon.

Right after publishing this post, I will start cooking valenciana so I could go to Aling Nati’s house ahead of time for a New Year’s Eve dinner with other Filipino friends who are living within the Wakefield Region.

Coming early to the said party doesn’t mean that I am very excited... Of course Sydney and Melbourne have prepared lots of pyrotechnic devices for the fireworks display tonight, but those who are living in the outback like us, welcoming the Year of the Tiger is definitely not as colourful and boisterous as in the major Australian cities.

This is my third New Year celebration Down Under, and just like in the two previous years, I am sure that the approaching media noche is another record-breaker—a night with a deafening silence!

A Filipino belief says that firecrackers and its noise drive the malevolent spirits away and make the new year prosperous and bountiful. I don’t know if I will still believe in this ‘belief’ after discovering that despite the muted air between December 31 and January 1 in Australia, this country remains to be wealthy and continuously booming!

I hate to mention something that is very obvious in this post... Does it simply means the Philippines needs to ignite more Rebentador, Super Lolo, Super Pla Pla, Triangulo, Bawang, Sinturon ni Judas, Jumbo Fountain, Whistle Bomb, Kuwitis, Lusis ,Watusi, or Bulalakaw during the New Year celebrations?

Honestly, if a firecracker factory in Bocaue or Sta. Maria, Bulacan could create an explosive device that can drive away dishonest and corrupt elected government officials I will fearlessly volunter to be the first one to detonate it this 2010!

Let us welcome the New Year with a complete set of fingers!



.

14 comments:

RedLan said...

Happy New Year 2010 RJ!

The Pope said...

Thank you for reminding our kababayan to welcome 2010 with complete fingers hahahaha.

Happy New Year Doc!!!

gege said...

'Let us welcome the New Year with a complete set of fingers!'
korek po!
nagpapanic talaga ako pag new year.. di bale ng KJ. basta ayoko ng may nagpapaputok sa aking mga kapamilya...

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

:P

mightydacz said...

happy new year doc....
oi valenciana penge naman lol
thanks for the info year of the tiger pala...

A-Z-3-L said...

hahahahaha!
detonate it doc!

Harpy New Year!
Wishing you the best year ahead :D

bertN said...

Happy Australian New Year to You! bertN

Anonymous said...

Have a fun-filled and healthier new year, doc rj! God bless.

Loida of the 2L3B's said...

maybe we should do the other way around. maybe our country should stop the fireworks and start saving all those money for better use. keep it silent like the Australians do and have a simple yet Godly celebration as other countries do. We also experienced similar new year celebration here in Canada. Walang putukan yet the country remains economically stable as ever.

Kosa said...

super Pla Pla?

ahhh..

Happy new year nalang doc!

Chyng said...

pero come on, iba pa din ang new year at pasko sa Pinas!

Apinuyir! Ü

BlogusVox said...

Pareho lang ang sitwasyon natin. The 3 of us celebrate is like any ordinary days. Only my daughter and wifey were excited because of their new toys.

Even if my wife put coins in every corner of our flat, I still don't believe it will bring us good luck nor those firecrackers will drive away evil spirits. E ang asawa ko nga, bawat bagong taon, talon ng talon. Hanggang ngayon 4'11'' pa rin. >: D

Happy New Year, RJ!!

Sardonyx said...

RJ Happy New Year! to you! I hope more blessings sa'yo at sa magiging gf mo hehehe, hala maghanap ka na no para mas masaya ang next new year celebration mo ;-)

Anonymous said...

Siguro kaya wala ng epekto ang fireworks sa Pinas dahil na-engibs (bingi) na ang mga dark spirits sa atin. I think what we need is total silence. Ung trabaho lang. Walang salita. Maybe, just maybe, may magbabago sa takbo ng Pinas.

I sense your sadnesss, RJ. Or maybe I'm wrong din nman. Pero alam mo, count yourself lucky this 2010 because I'm certain there'll be good..not not just good...great things happening to you and for you this year.

Happy New Year!

The Nomadic Pinoy said...

I read there were less firecracker victims this time than previous years - natuto na siguro from a painful mistake?