Monday, July 14, 2008

The World's Pilgrimage

For six days this month, Sydney, Australia will be hosting the 23rd World Youth Day. A quarter of a million registered pilgrims from all over the world are expected to come as a response to Pope Benedict XVI’s invitation. In this international event, the pontiff encourages the youth of the world to unite, and celebrate their faith.

However, not every one of us can go to Sydney. But we can still join the pilgrimage by genuinely rekindling or celebrating our faith in our own home, church or diocese. With this, I believe that our faithfulness to the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit will remain young and fresh, no matter how old we are.

This sacred festival is being initiated by The Vatican but its message is, clearly, not just for the Catholic ‘youth’ alone because we all know that the Holy Spirit has been constantly knocking on everybody’s heart so everyone will become a living witness of God’s unconditional love for us!

I haven’t been to Manila during the WYD in 1995, and surely, I can’t be present in Sydney for this year’s event. But just like the pilgrims that are determined to come to the Randwick Racecourse, no matter what and where I am, even in this isolated poultry farm amidst the barren fields of South Australia I am striving to seek and pursue my life’s mission in my day to day journey.

No comments: